

This week's interview comes purely from our source, MJ Kuok, a music artist who featured Katie in his music video "Once Twice 3".
- Who has been your biggest influence in music?
Growing up, I listened to alot of punk rock bands: Blink 182, Sum 41, Jimmy Eat World. Whilst attending boarding school in England at the age of 12, I formed a band called "Scratched Audio" and we would cover all their music as well as perform originals at our quarterly school rock festivals. That was essentially the start of my interest of becoming a singer and musician.
I have a huge range of influences now, from Black Eyed Peas, John Mayer, Switchfoot, Lady Gaga, Jason Mraz. You can tell from my music that I like experimenting with lots of different genres.

I wrote the song "Once Twice 3" at the time my ex-girlfriend broke up with me. The first two times she tried to do so, I managed to hold on to her but by the third time, I had enough & figured it was best for both of us to go our own ways. I was here in Stanford and she was back home in Singapore so the distance wasn't easy for her. I wanted the video to depict the struggles we were facing in our relationship - although we were truly in love & happy throughout the whole relationship, the distance got the better of her & it eventually tore us apart.
The lyrics of this song are somewhat contradictory, which exemplifies that feeling that I think alot of people can relate through when relationships end - trying hard to let go but not wanting to at the same time:
Verse 1 - Once Twice 3 times enough alright, sleep tight sweet dreams just stop the fight. I'm over you and I won't go on living like it's all OK.
Chorus - Woah Oh Oh we can't let go

- What will be your goals/aspirations for your future songs and videos?
I've just released a new music video for a song I wrote called "No Worries". It can be viewed at my website: www.mjkuok.com
For future videos, I'm aiming to incorporate alot more dancing and interesting themes into them. I'm currently scripting a new video for my song "Hey Girl" which I plan to shoot soon. I'm also currently working on alot of new music which I'll be releasing as a series of mixtapes this year via my website - the first release this coming Valentines Day will be called "Breathe" and consist of 3 brand new songs!
Thanks so much to MJ for taking the time for our blog. These songs are fun, catchy, and I will definitely be waiting for those new songs on Valentine's Day!
[Official] www.mjkuok.com
[Store] music.mjkuok.com
[Facebook] facebook.com/mjkuok
[Twitter] twitter.com/mjkuok
[iTunes] itunes.com/mjkuok






No comments:
Post a Comment